Monday, August 27, 2007

Lakeside Shindig

I made a not well-worn enough trip to the land of Nascar and Coors Lite known as Paso Robles this weekend to partake in a big shindig for my Aunt Jeanne's 60th birthday. My cousin Ryan took me and our cousin Jason out on Lake Nacimiento for some sweet Seadoo action. I haven't been on one of those badboys in friggen years. It took me a while to get back into the game but when I did it was on like Donkey Kong. We rode all over that lake; Jason decked out in his Viking helment and Ryan smashing big waves into me every chance he got. Motorcycles on the water. What an invention. We had some Shiner before we left and some Sam Adams Lite when we ran into some of Ryan's acquaintances out on the lake. It had to have been the lone good beer amongst all that Coors. Saints be praised.
Lake culture is not unlike hotrod or dirt bike culture. In fact, the only difference I can think of is it's on the water, and might involve less clothing. Kids on suped-up boats, bumping rap music and drinking Coors Lite. I shuddered internally. Whatever, literally, floats your boat. More for you, man.
The birthday party was at this outdoor pavillian where we set up the tons of food and cocktails, and mardi gras beads on all the tables. The band set up, the wine was uncorked and the punch bowl was flowing. And this wasn't just any wine. Oh no. This was my very own cousin's very own winery, Nacimiento Cellars. We drank the shit out of at least 5 bottles of wine. And some champagne. Mmmmmm....champagne. We all danced like fools and ate like kings. Then we went back to the house and opened another bottle and kept going. It was wonderful to hang out with some of my cousins. I never have. I don't imagine that all 26 of us will ever be in the same place at the same time. But having Jodie, Alisha, Ryan, and Jason there was fantastic. We'll definetly being doing this more often. I can't wait to see the pictures.
Sunday morning was fried eggs, toast, and the crispest hashbrowns you ever did see before we headed back out on the lake for more shennanegins. Zooming around the lake, bouncing off the waves, once you've remembered how to ride, is too much fun. I've only ever ridden on the ocean. Let me tell you about choppy. At least on the lake you don't have to worry about sharks or the like. It really does make all the difference.
We spent the afternoon napping and sleeping off our hangovers and Ryan's raging headache. The 3 hour drive home turned into at least a 4 hour trek, having to deal with the traffic from the last day of the Paso state fair, the last day of Fiesta in Santa Barabara, and the on going Ventura fair. This helped complicate the already shitty Sunday night traffic through Santa Barbara. But it was all worth it. I am still so sore. Good christ. And I think one more good night of sleep should have me all caught up on the madness from this weekend. The age of road trips is reborn. Pack accordingly

No comments:

Post a Comment